Flexible drill shaft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed to drill a hole in a worktop right up against a corner. 10mm hole that is 10mm away from each wall. 18mm chipboard. I tried with my drillbit, angling it slightly but it's made marks on the walls, much to the chagrin of the missus.

Is there a reliable or good quality flexible shaft that I could use with wood drill bits and a cordless drill?

Sponsored Links
10mm hole 10mm from wall gives you less than 15mm tool radius to play with.

This is not a quality solution, but if you wish to give it a try....

Flexible Hex driver for your drill
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LONG-FLE...397857&hash=item2f346dac3a:g:nU0AAOSw5oVdNyBZ

Or

Right angle for your drill
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Right-An...hash=item2868d13137:m:mDBN0irbThl0sBBBiK8upag

And

Hex ended drill bits that include a 10mm drill bit
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16pc-HSS-HIGH-SPEED-STEEL-DRILL-BIT-SET-HEX-SHANK-BITS-TITANIUM-COATED-NEW/274125285733?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=61137&meid=c976bdcea881450cb8c2835c4d237f0b&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=233212166778&itm=274125285733&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

But I would be be very worried that a flexible/90deg drill will reduce the torque and the 10mm drill bit will jam.

SFK

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Holding a flexible shaft might be problematic
I have used flexible shafts when polishing and you need to avoid the cable coiling itself

I do have a ryobi right angle drill but suspect that 10mm is too close to the wall for almost any tool?
I would need to measure the chuck and try to see how close to a wall the drill body can get

Sponsored Links
Flexible drill shafts are really designed to either hold screwdriver bits or small burrs for detailed grinding, so I don't really think that they are suitable for the purpose you want to put them and at too high a speed they might be a bit dangerous (as they don't really have a proper grip and might therefore slip sideways in use). They also lack thrust bearings as a rule. Whatever else you do need to punch a starter in the laminate using something like an awl (or possibly s hammer and centre punch) to give the drill bit point somewhere to locate and so avoid the bit skating across the top. Having tried this sort of thing in the past I'd have to say that you are probably better off moving the hole slightly out from the wall so that you can get your drill in and use a long bit or bit and extender. The alternative solutions of, say, a Makita angle impact driver or a Bosch/Milwaukee/Festool cordless drill with an offset drive head would work, but are prohibitively expensive for one-off jobs

Last edited by a moderator:
Festool eccentric chuck...
upload_2019-12-12_19-58-28.jpeg

Then the centrotec drill bits....
$_35.JPG

Then the festool PDC.....
FES574705.jpg

About £600 spent so far.

10mm spade bit in 300mm extension bar will get you high enough to avoid damage with drill.
Drill from below if you have a void .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back