Drilling an improbable nook - suitability of flacid shaft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day, dear friends,

I would like to install two shelves in the corner of our kitchen, adjacent to the water heater. However, there is insufficient space between the water heater and the wall to enable direct drilling into the brickwork. I would like to know whether a device such as this will enable me, particularly given the 175mm clearance?

Untitled_1.jpg

I look forward to hearing from you in the coming days.

Your Toolbelt Dandy

Edit: I would like to point out that I was going to post this in General DIY, but when prompted by the forum software to select a more suitable subforum, if one existed, I selected 'hardware'. I wasn't given any indication at the time that 'hardware' was a subforum of the 'computers' section.

Sponsored Links
It'll take a while without hammer action (don't set your drill to hammer with one of those or you'll quickly break it, the bit, or both). You'll still want to use a masonry bit though.

Sponsored Links
make life easy
make your shelves on a ladder fashion 160 wide with sides
the exact same height as the space
use 20mm pine or 18mm mdf
screw and glue a 6 or 12mm back dependant on weight expected
secure via screws into the back panel

you can add a batton for support underneath that can also take hooks for hanging things like utensils

Hi big-all - I'm trying to visualise your suggestion - are you basically suggesting constructing a sort of miniture bookcase which will be free-standing and therefore not require holes to be drilled?

@jj4091: According to this data sheet, it's not intended to support much weight (see 'Limitations' - larger mirrors are too heavy and I want these shelves to support pans and appliances).

not full height but yes free standing so with the appropriate thickness off back you can raise to the correct height and fix it to the wall
it needs to be easy to remove for maintainance off the boiler

cant see they will take that much weight if they are that small, use gripfill.

The angle attachments are alright for light duties but the on;ly long term angle drill which always comes up with the goods and doesn't break mid process is this.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back