Drilling plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could anyone help me with my problem?

I have a curtain rail to put up above my balcony window and the walls are made of plasterboard. I was able to put one fitting up fine but when I went to do the other side the drilling first of all showed that the plasterboard seemed much thinner on the other said, say a cm or so.

When I put the wall plugs in they just fell through after I tried to screw a little bit in.

What are my options here? Do I just plaster up the holes and hope that the plasterboard is thicker at another point or could I use a small screw fitting?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think your hole is now too big for the plug you are using. You can try filling in the hole with filler and then drill a neater hole or drill in a different place.

Always a problem this. You could try the plasterboard fixings that screw themselves into the plasterboard and then take a screw, but you must have enough space behind for the fixing.There are various rawl plugs for plasterboard, try the type with little springy out arms. Ultimately the fixing which is a metal bolt and spring out arms which pop out behind the plasterboard are your last option. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
PS When fixing curtain rails, I find the strongest option is to fit a wood batten the length of the rail, which you can fix at as many points as you wish (as above), and also glue to wall with proprietory 'sticks everything to everything'type adhesive. this gives a strong base to screw rail fittings int, as it is wood. Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back