Drilling Porcelain Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`ve got to drill three holes into the top (upside down) window reveal of our bathroom to hang a venetian blind.
Any tips on "how to" on this ? Whatever type of drill ( diamond tip best? ) I use I cant use water to lubricate the drill bit as I`m drilling upside down with the drill pointing up.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As others have said, a water spray will help and NO hammer action. Let the drill do the work and keep just enough pressure on to go through the tile. Too much pressure will crack the tile or damage the cutting bit.
These Screwfix own brand are good and are wax loaded to reduce heat build up although working upside down will affect the direction the wax takes!
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-diamond-tile-drill-bit-6-x-67mm/51908
You could also try the Marcrist bits. They are more expensive but double ended so they offer a little more. Or try somewhere local, Rubi products are designed for tiles and are a good tool as well. Make sure whatever you buy will cut Porcelain, many cheap DIY products will really struggle and potentially break the tile or your drill.
Have fun!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back