Drilling tap hole in ceramic sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a large double ceramic sink with a triangular space between the sinks that in images of the same sink I've seen a tap fitted.

This sink does not have a 'knock out' so needs to be drilled and the thickness is approx 20mm. The hole will need to be 30-32mm diameter. I've been advised to use a diamond core drill but there doesn't seem to be either a 30mm or 32mm product on the market making me nervous that this sort of sink maybe isn't designed to have a hole drilled in it like this!!

Anyone with any experience with this sort of problem? Thoughts gratefully received

Tom

Sponsored Links
Do you have a picture of the sink? I have never even entertained the ideal of drilling a hole in a ceramic sink before, there are so many things that can go wrong I'm afraid to say, leading to the sinks destruction:eek:. Getting the hole started is just the first issue on such a hard surface. I have seen sinks with triangular or diamond shaped holes that are for the tap(s), yes.

I would avoid trying to core/drill if at all possible :eek:

Sponsored Links
I agree with madrab , you could very easily cause damage .if your sink was designed for a tap in the position you propose it would have the hole there or at least a knock out pre form. have you looked at the underside , is it a flat surface for the tap Anchorage ?

F|_|CKING 'ELL... good luck with that!
Think I'd rather drill my own teeth :eek:

When punters want those giant fireclay behemoths fitted, I either insist they order it predrilled ready take the tap (most suppliers off this option at a cost), or issue a disclaimer to the effect that I cannot guarantee an undamaged sink top if I have to drill/knock it through.

Been caught out once.

@tomerlingall

Your sink is for deck mounted taps by the sound of it. As in they are mounted either from work surface or from the wall to reach over. Bit like a posher/newer Belfast.

If you really want to drill it then go ahead but it is really not recommended but if you do you have to promise us to video it for us and post the results. I don't ask much!

Jon

@tomerlingall

Your sink is for deck mounted taps by the sound of it. As in they are mounted either from work surface or from the wall to reach over. Bit like a posher/newer Belfast.

If you really want to drill it then go ahead but it is really not recommended but if you do you have to promise us to video it for us and post the results. I don't ask much!

Jon

:ROFLMAO: Oooh, please :D

if you have to drill it out , get a bit of mdf or plywood about 18mm thick with the same size diameter hole as tap hole , then clamp the wood to the basin with the hole in the exact position , you can use that as a guide so it won't slip :cry: and using a diamond cutter while using no force as not to chip the glaze , once your through the glazing you'll have no problems ,

I'd feed plenty of water into the cut while its going, if you can do it outside, and have the hose dripping onto the cutter that would be good. Definitely will need a guide as mentioned above, otherwise the holesaw will just skate about on the surface making a mess. Dont use hammer action or crazy speed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back