How to drill a tap hole in a ceramic sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drill a hole in my black ceramic kitchen sink for the tap. What's the best way to do this?

Sponsored Links
ceramic dimond core

Diamond-Core-Drill-Bits.jpg
:idea: :idea:

Sponsored Links
It is a Franke sink MTK611.
There are "knockouts" underneath. How do I knock them out without risking breaking through the knockout area of the upper sink surface and not having the tap being able to cover it?

There should be a little dot on the top side where you hit it. :LOL:

Firm accurate blows with a small hammer does the job.

An interesting experience to say the least but never busted one yet. :rolleyes:

There should be a little dot on the top side where you hit it. :LOL:

Firm accurate blows with a small hammer does the job.

An interesting experience to say the least but never busted one yet. :rolleyes:
Scary

It is a Franke sink MTK611.
There are "knockouts" underneath. How do I knock them out without risking breaking through the knockout area of the upper sink surface and not having the tap being able to cover it?

Just to make that clear RacquelDarrian, you don't hit it from the under side, but the dot on the finished side.

If no Dot drill it.

There should be instructions with the sink.

From memory the manufaturer recommends that you drill a pilot hole and then enlarge it my knocking out the rest!!

I wasn't comfortable with this is so used a diamond tile drill. The knockout underneath is virtually all the way through so it doesn't take much effort. Can recommend these drills:-

http://www.365drills.com/

I wasn't comfortable with this is so used a diamond tile drill

It would make a good Smash commercial :LOL:

Now let me get this straight, you get a hammer and smack that little dot, on my new £200 quid sink HaHaHHaHaHa ROTFL :rolleyes:

There's three cut outs to choose from and no dots on the finished side.

And even funnier is that sink wasn't £200 but more like £400. Can you now see my caution and concern?

There's three cut outs to choose from and no dots on the finished side.

And even funnier is that sink wasn't £200 but more like £400. Can you now see my caution and concern?
Well worth the extra expense for the drill bit required then. Three knockouts? - presumably for monobloc or 2 single taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back