Drilling through joists for pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a blunder in planning on my part it is going to be a nightmare to run the waste pipe from my bathroom basin straight between the closest joists and out through the wall.

Is it OK to run it through a hole in 3 floor joists and then 90 degrees and out (Victorian house, 6.5''x1.25'' joists) if I bolt some strengthening wooden pieces above and below the holes?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
i think you may be ok provided the rest or the joist, local to the holes you intend to drill, is untouched. (no cable holes or notches)

you will have to make your holes close to the wall and as close to the joist centre as you can.

how do you intend threading a fairly rigid 32mm pipe through these holes??

Thanks for the reply

The holes will be in the middle of each joist and there are no other holes or notches in the joists concerned. The pipe will be chased into the wall and then run straight out at 90 degrees to the wall and therefore staright through the joists so there is no problem passing it through as it is in a straight line. I will then use a ninety degree elbow to send it between the third and fourth joist from the wall the basin is mounted on and out through the wall.

The first joist it will pass through is about 30 mm from the wall and about 60mm if you include th e existing plaster.

abbo27 said:
Due to a blunder in planning on my part it is going to be a nightmare to run the waste pipe from my bathroom basin straight between the closest joists and out through the wall.

Is it OK to run it through a hole in 3 floor joists and then 90 degrees and out (Victorian house, 6.5''x1.25'' joists) if I bolt some strengthening wooden pieces above and below the holes?

Cheers

What is the span of the joist and how far is the hole from the nearest bearing? If it is between 0.25xthe span and 0.4xthe span and the hole is no greater than 42mmdia you should be ok. Otherwise you will need to demonstrate by calcualtion that your route will not effect the stability of the structure.

Sponsored Links
As Rangersman said .........and drill on the centreline /neutral axis of the joist..... ie. 3and a quarter ins down. Use swept bends not those 90deg. elbows :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back