Drilling through plasterboard on top of thermoboard to get to brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I've set my life up for hell. Builder has put thermoboards on every external facing wall in the house, on top of which is plasterboard, plaster.

I'm in the process of installing shelves around the house. It's not straightforward at all. I need to drill what feels like almost 80mm before I'm hitting the brick work

I've done some research and I see long (120mm anchor screws with plugs) are the solution but what I'm struggling to understand is how on earth I'm going to get the plug sitting inside a hole I cant see due to the thickness of the thermoboard? By feel alone? That seems wrong.

My kitchen installers would've had the same issue but I think they just brute forced long screws directly into the brick work without any plugs. They could get away with that, the shelf mounts wont be as forgiving (aesthetics)

Thoughts, advice? Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back