Drilling into soft bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Victorian house is made from bricks which contain holes through the depth of the brick. (21 holes in each brick in total) so when I try to drill into them or screw a screw into wall plug the brick just cracks and breaks away.

I'm trying to fix a plastic outside vent to accomdate a new inline fan. I need to crest a circular hole in the gable end which is 9 inch solid brick. I've read about drilling a series if small holes and chiseling out. This might work to create the hole but the fix the outside grill it has 4 holes for fixing with screws but I know the bricks will just break away if I do this

I guess I need an alternate way to fix this plastic grill to brick other than wall plugs and screws. Can anyone suggest anything?

Sponsored Links
Safest way to get a clean cut would be a diamond core drill 115mm dia or whatever your vent requires.
No hammer action on the drill just a smooth cut, you should be able to hire one you MUST hire the correct drill with a clutch with it or you can break a wrist if it snaggs.
Drill from a platform not a ladder or simply cut through from inside, a diamond drill has minimal break out on the exit side.

As opposed to other ways a diamond drill is sooo easy!

Thank you so much. I'll look into that then.

Also having same issue tacking up plastic conduit to the chases I have created for the electrics. Are there any adhesives out there that stick plastic to brick. I only need it to hold in place and sit just within the chase so the plasterer can go straight over them

Sponsored Links
Thank you once again. Really appreciate the help. I'll look at both of these and hopefully they will work perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back