Drilling through plasterboard without elongating the hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my kitchen units this weekend. One wall is plaster board on wooden batons so no problem with fixing the cabinets to the batons. But one wall is plaster board dot and dabbed onto solid concrete I think. That wall is a partition wall to the next door neighbor - its a ground floor flat.

The problem is I have to drill three holes for the cabinet hanging brackets close together. I find that when I drill into plasterboard, the holes slip and move around a bit as I force the hammer drill into the concrete, so i'll loose all accuracy.

Does anyone have any tips to drill three holes through the plaster board into the concrete accurately and without elongating the holes to much?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
use a decent drill, one with an SDS chuck rather than the cheap drills that have "hammer action"..
use a straight and sharp drillbit ( ie a new one.. ) .. chances are your bit is old, worn tip and slightly bent..

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You don't need to be really accurate as the fixings allow for quite a lot of adjustment, but as mentioned sds drill will make short work of most surfaces.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
never force a hammer drill.. just enough pressure to engage the hammer action and let the drill do the rest.. you'll flex the bit otherwise..

you could also use a smaller bit to pilot the hole and then the right size to finish it..

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another solution would be to drill a hole through a scrap bit of timber which you can then hold against the wall in the right place and use as a guide.