Cupboard on dot-and-dab plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a utility room smartened up by having plasterboard dot-and-dabbed onto the bare brickwork, then skimmed with plaster.

Previously (very) heavy Ikea cabinets were hung from the brickwork, and I'm wondering how to rehang them safely.

The plasterer used a thick layer of adhesive, so that the 13amp sockets that were surface mounted on the brickwork now appear to be flush, so there's a respectable-sized cavity between the plasterboard and the brick.

Do I need to drill through the plasterboard and into the brick to fit plugs? That will make quite a mess of the plasterboard, as I'll need holes wide enough for me to see what I'm doing in the brickwork.

Sponsored Links
This is one of those occasion that pre-planning for the units to be hung would have been very wise. I tend discuss with the customer when dot'n'dabbing walls, so if items require to fixed to the walls provisions are made.
I would have laid a nice spread of adhesive in the areas where fixing are require.

If it was now my job to hang the units I would consider cutting a channel in to the wall and fitting a batten to fix to or fill out with adhesive. You could use a the plug method but not a fan of this when heavy objects are to be hung and you will have a a void that will not support the screw too well.

Sponsored Links
Just drill and used extra long screws , push plugs thru to brickwork, if there is no adhesive at the screw points on offcut of tube [15mm copper or plastic water pipe is ideal ] make a good spacer to prevent crushing the plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back