Render and plaster or dot and dab over internal brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had to remove a load of blown plaster, up until now it's been fairly small patches, but i will have an entire recess which will be back to brickwork (see pic).

The original render was cement scratch coat followed by the original victorian plaster (with horse hair etc.). The house is double brick skin (no cavity)

Up until now i've been patching up the smaller areas with cement render followed by hardwall, however for this larger area i'm not as confident cement rendering to a flat surface as i'm not familiar with the straight edge.

It looks like it might be easier to dot and dab/baton plasterboard over this recess wall, however i have a couple of questions about this:

1. Should the brickwork be waterproofed first? If so, with what?
2. How does one install fixings to a dot and dabbed wall (e.g. heavy photo frames etc), as there will be a cavity between the plasterboard and brickwork?

Attachments

• wall.PNG
    wall.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back