Drilling through rendered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks. Hope everyone is enjoying the bank hols?

I need to drill through my rendered wall to run a cat6 cable into my house . What's the best way to tackle this?

I'm not too worried if the finishing is less than perfect on the inside as its within a wardrobe, I'm more worried about not making a pig of the rendering. I have an sds drill and a 25mm long bit. I am not averse to buying a new bit, maybe a core one. Any pointers greatly appreciated. It's a cavity wall, bricks pretty hard.

Cheers

Larry

Sponsored Links
A 25mm long bit is not going to go through or damage anything. Do you know where you need to drill through from the outside if so go that way with a drill bit of a suitable length ( probably 300mm for a cavity wall.) If you have to go from the inside then put a piece of tape round the bit so that it stops short of the outside then switch off the hammer action for the last inch or so.

Does it need to be 25mm? I would have thought 10mm to be plenty.
Anyway, you could start off with a much smaller bit and work your way up, much easier to slightly increase an existing hole, than try to do a big hole in one go.

You could also start the hole bigger than you need on the rendered section, then as you drill through the wall, the bit will be clear of the render. (Drill from the outside)

Don't use hammer action on the rendered section. Only once you're through to the brick.

If you fluffy it up slightly, there's those cable covers you can get for covering up the hole.

Sponsored Links
Even if wanting to run an already-terminated cable (so need the plug to pass through) then that diameter drill is still excessively large... and if ethernet cable only probably 6mm dia would be enough!

NB you'll need a suitable external grade (UV stable and tougher outer sheath) CAT 6 cable, unless providing some other protection (e.g. conduit).

Does it need to be 25mm? I would have thought 10mm to be plenty.
Anyway, you could start off with a much smaller bit and work your way up, much easier to slightly increase an existing hole, than try to do a big hole in one go.

You could also start the hole bigger than you need on the rendered section, then as you drill through the wall, the bit will be clear of the render. (Drill from the outside)

Don't use hammer action on the rendered section. Only once you're through to the brick.

If you fluffy it up slightly, there's those cable covers you can get for covering up the hole.
Thank you Deluks, 25mm is what I have, could get away with 18 as the cable already has the boot on it. Sounds like a good plan of attack thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back