Drilling Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All :D
My wall tiles will be finished today so was just wondering how to go about drilling holes into me tiles for such as mirror fittings and the shower head stand as well, got told not to buy a Tile Drill Bit so what sort of drill bit should I use and it will not crack my tiles will it?

Thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Put masking tape on the spot where you wantto drill, this will stop the drill slipping, remember dont have your drill on hammer.

try and orientate the fixings so that they are away from the tile edges by at least 30mm.
this will reduce the risk of your tiles stress fracturing.

Also when you push in the rawlplugs make sure you push them deep into the hole behind and past the tile. If the top of the plug sits flush with the tile surface it will expand and crack the tile when screw your fixings to them. Very simple lesson that I learned the hard way :oops:

Glassman said:
If the top of the plug sits flush with the tile surface it will expand and crack the tile when screw your fixings to them. Very simple lesson that I learned the hard way :oops:
Yep and the mirror :oops: :!: I always use the drill chuck key handle to tap it in, just the right size :!:

Loads of good advice there thanks didnt have the bottle to do it last night think I will give it ago 2night maybe.

Thanks again you lot :D

You can always practice on a tile that will behind the cabinet. But then Murphys law steps in, that one is OK & the pucker one cracks. You have been given tons off advice, get the wife to do it now then you can blame her. :LOL:

Well give it ago this morning tile didnt crack got into the tile alright but my normal drill bit wouldnt go all the way through the tile? any ideas should i stop being a tight arse and buy them tile drill bits?

What sort of bit are you using?

The correct way is masking tape to stop slipping and using a masonry bit with the hammer off on your drill.

Once you have got through the tile you can then put the hammer back on, if the wall is hard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back