How to fix a shower rail riser bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like fit a shower rail riser bracket to a tiled bathroom wall. I understand I should use a masonry drill bit. My question is what size drill bit do I need to use for the wall plugs? Its a standard bristan shower rail riser.

Sponsored Links
Use a quality 6mm plug such as the Fischer, and drill in a couple of stages to 6mm if you aren't too confident. Don't use the hammer action until you are through the tile glaze though!
Special tile drill bits are available, but I've never had to use them.
Hope things go well!
John :)

Use a quality 6mm plug such as the Fischer, and drill in a couple of stages to 6mm if you aren't too confident. Don't use the hammer action until you are through the tile glaze though!
Special tile drill bits are available, but I've never had to use them.
Hope things go well!

Hi John,

Thanks for the tip. How far back through the tile/wall should I drill?

Sponsored Links
Once the glaze of the tile is scraped through, there's hardly any chance of the drill bit skidding or cracking the tile. I use plenty of pressure on the drill, and operate it in short bursts until the glaze has gone.

Yes,

A 56 plunger framed one and a 60 that looks more like an air fix kit at the moment.!
Had the 56 since 76 and bits are easier to buy now than back then.
Don't ride as much as I used to due to work and stuff but I try

Or use a heart shaped drill to get through the tile first, these things do a nice neat job getting through glazing without slipping

10mm-long-life-masonry-drill-bit-drilling-bit-set-for-tile-glass-big-discount-free-christmas.jpg_640x640.jpg

Nozzle

Or use a heart shaped drill to get through the tile first, these things do a nice neat job getting through glazing without slipping

10mm-long-life-masonry-drill-bit-drilling-bit-set-for-tile-glass-big-discount-free-christmas.jpg_640x640.jpg

Nozzle
Yes, I use these too, although I still stick a bit of tape on first to prevent slipping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back