drilling wall for aerial wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing an aerial wire to a bedroom, the wire has to go through an exterior wall before it goes up to the aerial.

I have a bosch sds hammer drill and a long masonry bit whoch is slightly bigger than the aerial wire to go through the wall with, I just want to know if I should drill from the inside to out, as I dont think I will be that steady on the ladders using a drill into brick - also, if I can do it from the inside I will be able to make sure the drill has pressure and to keep it steady.
The wall is brick outside, then a gap, then block with plaster inside.

I will be ok on ladders to pin the wiring to the wall, and to make the connection at the aerial

THANKS

Sponsored Links
The trouble you'll have is that you'll punch a large hole at the opposite side from which you start when you break through. I always try and drill though with as small a bit as possible, then enlarge the hole with the finish size bit from both sides. This minimises the size of the brick or plaster that gets knocked off.

Yeah I can see that, I do have a smaller bit, that I could start with

So, drilling from inside to out - would that be ok?

Yeah but when you use the finish drill, drill a couple of inches from the outside first, then finish the hole from the inside.

Sponsored Links
What I usually do is take the hammer action off when I am almost through the wall. How you figure this out is up to you. With experience you can just tell when you are almost through, otherwise you could drill a smaller hole and then measure the length of the drill bit in a manner to establish the wall's thickness. Then mark up your aerial cable size bit and take the hammer action just before you get to the end.

Always drill from inside to out as you are more likely to blow huge chunks of plaster off than brick although if you are decorating then consider the reverse as it's easier to re-plaster than replace a brick.

Finally, put a slight incline on the hole you drill so that the hole is higher on the INSIDE than the OUTSIDE so that water cannot run down the hole. Make sure you put a little bit of silicone around the cable for this reason too.

Also, a drip loop in the cable will further help prevent this water running in.

thanks tesla

I did the job on sunday, drilled from the inside to out, and even on an incline to stop water coming in!! thats a good tip that, and something I have always done when drilling through windowframes etc

my wire is now in, all pinned & tidy, and connected to my new tv, a great signal and all is well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back