Drip, Drip.....leak in Roof/Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up this morning at 5:30am to the sound of dripping in the loft. It's only one drip every minute or so, bu needs looking at.

At 6:10am I was in the loft trying to locate the leak.

Found a slight drip coming through a weak spot in the underfelt, so cut back some of the felt to try and locate where it was coming through.

I cut open about 5 foot of felt but the water is still running down from above, gave up at this point as it was early and I was bleary eyed. A bucket is now collecting the odd drip......

My guess is a loose or cracked tile, what are your thoughts ?

What is thought to be an OK amount of water to penetrate the roof tiles as I assume they are not 100% water-tight ?

As I have now cut open the underfelt would it be wise to replace/repair this or is it not really required once the leak is fixed.

Is there a product I can use to effectively underfelt the underfelt from inside the loft ?

House was built approx 1969/1970

Many thanks.....

Sponsored Links
a cracked, broken or missing tile is enough to allow in the amount or water you seem to be getting.

provided the felt isn't damaged completely from rafter to rafter, then you can patch it with similar fabric and a healthy squirt of silicone or sticks like s**t.

Not condensation on the roofing felt is it? Can be difficult to find the leak because water leaking could be somewhere else and not where you think.

Have a look outside for the condition of the roof tiles, a binocular may help

have the tiles got a kind of apex..triangular..bit :oops: on each one :?: ...Redland Delta ??....There`s a whole block of flats needing re tiling because these combined with rotted felt are leaking like ****..and my boy`s in one of them :cry: .......thank goodness it`s a commonhold block ..........but it`s still £1200 each flat...........(in Sussex btw.)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back