Drip from sink waste joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Experts,

Can anyone suggest how best to fix a drip from my kitchen sink waste?

It's a modern stainless-steel sink. The strainer-type waste is fixed into a large diameter hole in the steel; that is OK. Next is a vertical plastic pipe with two inlets for appliances, leading into the U bend. It seems to be the joint between the waste and this vertical pipe that is leaking.

The joint has a fairly thick and firm rubbery flat washer. This fits between flanges on the top of the pipe and the bottom of the waste and is held by a plastic nut, captive on the end of the pipe.

I have dismantled and cleaned it, replaced the washer, and reassembled tightly - but it still leaks.

One thing I've noticed is that the flange on the top of the pipe against which the washer rests is imperfect. I could try to flatten it with some sandpaper, but that could make it worse rather than better, and might not be the cause of the problem.

Would I be better filling it with sealant or grease of some sort, or getting a differ sort of washer? Any "tricks of the trade" to resolve this sort of leak?

Thanks, Phil.

Sponsored Links
Use a good squidge of silicone between the waste rose and the sink (topside)......that'll usually sort it!
Post a pic of the leak site if I've misunderstood.
John :)

Use a good squidge of silicone between the waste rose and the sink (topside)......that'll usually sort it!

That's not where it's leaking from. It's the joint between the bottom of the waste rose and the vertical pipe below that.

In my collection of plumbing bits I've found some other washers of the same diameter that are slightly softer, smaller, and round cross-section, i.e. "O rings"; I wonder if they would be better than the flat washer that is currently in there.

There's not usually a problem there as the flat rubber washer tends to seal nicely......you can try your O rings if you want, or maybe smear some silicone over the washer before tightening up.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Sometimes if the washer is over-tightened it goes out of shape, letting water through. you could still try a smear of silicon or LSX. If it's the grey waste that comes with Franke sinks, they always leak.

Spaz i o wastes from Franke -(ryhmes with banker ) just wrap some ptfe over the washer ;)

OK, I have sandwiched the washer in silicone and reassembled; it seems to have fixed it.

I was hesitant to do this as it is obviuosly a bodge, but life's too short to do everything perfectly!

If you can't see it and it works... especially after what the other guys have said about crappy fittings supplied with expensive sinks... then I wouldn't really bother. If it's sorted. Just keep and eye on it. I usually chuck away the waste fittings supplied for single bowl bowl n 1/2 double sinks and supply/fit better quality ones.

"Well my toilet went crazy yesterday afternoon
My plumber he said, " never flush a tampoon"
This great information cost me half a weeks pay
And the toilet blew up the very next day.... Hey Hey!"
(Frank Zappa)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back