Dripping waste pipe from kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking for a bit of reassurance before I get my screwdriver out!

Double-sink unit, and the waste pipes got a knock. Now there is a drip coming from beneath the half-bowl where the waste pipe joins the sink (3rd photo below).

I've tried tightening the screw in the drain inside the bowl itself, and this helped but did not create a completely water-tight seal.

I could keep tightening.... but might this crack/damage anything?

My instinct now is to unscrew, and put in some kind of new washer beneath the sink (I assume there is one) and/or sylicon?

Sponsored Links
Don't overdo the tightening.....undo the complete waste, clean it, see that the rubber washer on the underside is OK (it should be) and when its dry, put a good squidge of silicone between the drain rose and the sink.
Tighten down, remove the excess silicone that has squeezed out and all will be well.
John :)

Thanks. Just to be clear - is the 'drain rose' the bit inside the sink (picture 1) or is the bit underneath (pict 3)?

I'm guessing the silicone goes inside the sink between sink and the bit where the screw is (rose?). Yes?

Sponsored Links
Sorry mate, yes thats the bit that holds the plug, and the most important seal is between that and the sink itself - hence the silicone.
Some types have a thin washer in there too, but not all sinks need it.
Put plenty of silicone on the sink, assemble and centralise then tighten the screw.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back