Kitchen sink waste leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am struggling to figure out what part I need and can't seem to find it by searching.

I replaced the basket strainer as it was old, damaged and leaking. However on connecting the waste pipe back up to the new strainer it is leaking at this 90 degree connection between pipe and strainer. The black rubber washer inside was totally perished and misshapen so I have tried to get a new one, but I can't seem to find a standard washer for this job and if it exists then I don't know what it's called.

I measured the washer and tried buying something off eBay that was the same OD, but when it arrived it's actually slightly too big to fit inside the screw on part of the pipe - probably why it's still leaking. It was hard to measure the old washer properly because it was so ruined and not its original shape.

It doesn't seem like a great design as unlike all the other fittings under the sink that fit inside each other, it basically has two edges of pipe pressing a washer in between, so the washer must be perfect to seal.

Is there a standard washer for this and what should I be searching to order? I'm loathe to keep buying different size washers off eBay until eventually one fits, each time it takes several days to arrive.

Help much appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20221218_172428.jpg
    IMG_20221218_172428.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20221218_172451.jpg
    IMG_20221218_172451.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Take the part to a good plumbers merchant to supply a suitable flat faced washer.
As you have found out already ,there are various sizes.

Shockingly bad bespoke design from Ikea I think. The fitting never lines up straight and the screw fittings are never able to be tightened properly and even if you get the washer, that it's just blind luck that it tightens onto the waste properly and squarely. It really is a leak waiting to happen, even when new. Replace the sink waste with something from McAlpine.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses.

Terryplumb I took the part to plumbers merchant today, he didn't have a flat washer that would fit and after trying a couple of things he said he thought it was a unique design. He gave me a couple of o-rings to try that do seem to be the right OD but obviously not flat so not ideal.

nitro23456 I'm not sure that ptfe tape would be enough to sort the problem, pretty sure the washer is getting kinked up when the fitting is screwed on because it's too big.

Madrab you may be right that it's bespoke, no idea where it is from as it was here when I moved in to the house. The sink is Blanco though.

I suppose if an o-ring doesn't work I might have to look at getting a new sink waste kit but was hoping to avoid all that.

What is the exact measurement ,in millimetres ,of the diameter of the washer ? If it's so badly damaged that you can't measure it ,measure the fitting diameter where it sits.

Have to measure the fitting diameter. Measuring precisely quite tricky with the captive nut in the way, but also measured the mating part on the basket strainer and I think 45mm

A 1/1/2" circulating pump washer will do you.
Thanks, I ordered some washers with the same dimensions as that (45mm OD, 35mm ID, 3mm thick) and they seem to be working so far

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back