Sink strainer wastes without foam washers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing the knackered strainer waste in my son's sink, the old one had a rubber seal under the sink and a foam washer above. Bought two from Screwfix to try, (one Opella, one unbranded) and neither have a foam washer. Should they have come with foam washers (neither have instructions)? Whichever one I fit, should I reuse the foam washer, use silicone, or fit it without either?

Sponsored Links
Just fitted a kitchen sink (not screwfix) which included 2 very thin foam gaskets.:)

The sink instructions said use silicone on uneven flange surfaces but there is no uneven surface,i take it's a hint to use silicone.:!:

reuse the existing foam washer, :idea:dry it out and apply a continous bead of good quality clear silicone to the sink flange and same to the strainer flange,sandwich in the foam gasket. Bolt it together and leave any excess silicone to start curing. Last part of the job is to trim the excess silicone with a stanley knife.

Sponsored Links
No need, both sides of that connection are"inside" the waste system so there's no need to prevent leaks through.
The seal is underneath where you say you have a washer anyway. The top is just a mechanical connection to hold it in place and look nice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back