Dripping asbestos cement gutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The asbestos cement gutters on my bungalow are leaking at the section joints. The gutters are otherwise sound and I don't really want to go through the trouble and cost of replacing them. A tailor-made liner would be ideal but is also too costly for me at the present time.

Any advice on effective semi-permanent repair methods for this type of guttering would be much appreciated. One idea I had was sticking butyl rubber patches over the section joins with pond liner repair sealant - anyone tried this?

Cheers

J

Sponsored Links
There is a paint on the market called Flexacril or another make is Acrypol. Turns to rubber when it dries and has fibers in it which allows you to cover gaps up to 5-6 mm. Its ideal for what you want and i use it regularly. Sell it at all main builders merchants eg. Jewsons, keyline,etc, but comes in three diffirent colors , White, black or grey. For some reason the white and black is bout £100 a tin but the grey is between £40-60. So make sure you buy the grey. The cheapest i have got it is £38 for 5kg tin so look around. Can be applied in damp conditions but would recomend usig a wee blow torch to dry area first then apply with paint brush. Instantly waterproof so if it rains after you have applied it, its cool. Its also a permenant fix :D

Remove the bolts, clean out the old mastic, and replace with new mastic then fit new bolt.

:) Thanks for your advice chaps. I'll remove the old mastic and generally clean up the joints, then paint Flexacril over the affected area. I'll also have a crack at replacing the bolts, though I imagine the existing ones will be a bugger to shift :mad:

Sponsored Links
Calums spot on, that grey acrypol sh1t is good stuff, saves ****ing about with drilling or sawing bolts off, just do it in the dry and it will seal for ages!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back