Dripping cistern valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope someone can help. Our downstairs toilet still fills (via drips) even when the float valve is up. So eventually it reaches the overflow. Also occasionally the screw holding the float in place comes out and it fills even more quickly until I can push it back in. It is a bottom-filling cistern. Just behind where the blue valve drips from, there is what looks a bit like a connection, but I'm not sure. My question is can you replace just the blue valve , or that section and the float valve presumably, or do you have to replace the whole section from the base of the cistern up? If so, how easy is that to do (I'm thinking about the seal at the bottom). Also, when it does overflow, we get water down the side of the overflow pipe onto the floor which suggests a bad connection at the base. Is that easily fixed? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Usually you can simply buy and replace the equivalent of the rubber tap washer, for a few pence. Turn the water off, strip it down and find the washer, then pop along to the Plumbcentre or similar. Aldi and lidl regularly sell selection boxes of such washers, for not much money.

The 'screw' is usually a thick brass split pin.

Post a photo, if you need more help.

An idea of your cistern valve make/model would be a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back