Dripping Depression :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm not a plumber but I've done quite a bit around the house. Even plumbed in 2 bathrooms! So I'm ... I mean was ... fairly confident with basic stuff.

Today I fitted a new header/expansion tank in the loft. So when I had the system drained I decided to fit thermostatic controls to all the downstairs rad's. It's a job I've been wanting to do for a while.

I wish I'd never bothered :confused:

I fitted all the new controls. Filled the system. Drip drip drip from 3 of the rads, where the pipe connects into the control. So MEGA tightened each nut ... still dripping. So drained the system again. Wrapped loads of PTFE around. Mega tighten and confident that would solve it ... WRONG!

I think I'm looking for any hints or tips I could try? I suspect the 10mm pipe connecting to the rads is dented/mis-shaped etc and the olives are not grabbing or seating properly.

Any advise will be appreciated ... thanks

Mick

Sponsored Links
Where are you wrapping the ptfe. A couple of turns around the olive is the way to do it.

Where are you wrapping the ptfe. A couple of turns around the olive is the way to do it.

Wrapping PTFE around an olive?

NO NO and no again.

What do you expect the tape to do?

The oviles are not seating because the body of the new valves wont allow it. Cut the pipe to suit. Its plainly obvious if the pipe is de-formed, and if it is then re-new it. Youve crushed the olives now.
Paul.

So MEGA tightened each nut ... still drippping. So drained the system again. Wrapped loads of PTFE around. Mega tighten and confident that would solve it ... WRONG!

you've answered your own question.
you've probably crushed the olive into the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Elkato is of course right however if you have now MEGA TIGHTED them you may have to use Boss White as the olive will no longer be accessable.

ptfe is not needed on and compression fitting thats what the olives for.

boss white won't do nothing once you've crushed the olive.

youve strangled the life out of the pipe by the sound of it. if the pipe is now mis-shaped you'll need to cut it back and start again. if you have a bit of slack you might get away with it. then, nut on, then olive, smear some jointing paste round the first 10mm or so of the pipe so that when you slide it into the fitting, the olive squashes the paste up. hand tight the nut then nip about half a turn or so, no need for the 18inch stilsons.

I don't understand your objection gassafeman. The PTFE smears into minor imperfections on the mating surfaces and gives a water tight seal. It shouldn't be needed on new fittings but if you got a slight weep on a joint then why not?

Elkato is of course right.

He is not right. The olive is the seal as seco has previously said.

I use a smear of boss white of LSX on the inside of my compression fittings, and they are tightened a half turn after hand tight. Anymore and your compromising the olive - especially on 10mm.

Paul.

I don't understand your objection gassafeman. The PTFE smears into minor imperfections on the mating surfaces and gives a water tight seal. It shouldn't be needed on new fittings but if you got a slight weep on a joint then why not?

My objection is.....

PTFE is used on threaded fittings, not olives.

I would like the OP to complete the job with the appropriate materials, and not 'bodge' it.

EDIT: roguetrader has posted exactly what I have, previously.
There is plumbing and there is 'bodging'.

Paul.

please dont wrap ptfe round olives, there really is no need for it, take a virtual slap round the ear.

If the olive is the seal, Why do you use jointing compound. In a compression joint, PTFE works in exactly the same way as compound and does the same job. Not bodging, just another way of doing the same job.

if you insist on using ptfe round olives, you have to first make the joint, then split it, then apply ptfe, then remake it, i like to get finished at a resonable time of day, so i choose to use paste, make the joint and move on

We will have to agree to disagree. The OPs post has got a bit hi jacked here. I was only offering a possible low effort solution to the problem. Obviously if the pipe is too badly crushed, nothing's going to work but its worth a try.

If the olive is the seal, Why do you use jointing compound.

It hardens on the inside of the fitting. And we use a VERY SMALL SMEAR OF IT. If I was to apply it liberally, Id understand your concerns.

In a compression joint, PTFE works in exactly the same way as compound and does the same job. Not bodging, just another way of doing the same job.

It does not. Its breaks down when used incorrectly and has no benefit when used in an inappropriate way.

Paul.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back