Water inlet pipe dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:cry:

I've tried fitting a new fill valve today (fluidmaster) and everything went ok and I was nearly jumping for joy at this first ever attempt at DIY.

However, when I turned the water back on, the pipe started dripping! At first the drips came from the nut that flushes against the cistern (part of the fill valve nut) and I tighten that up.... then the water started dripping from another bolt connection lower in the pipe. I have also tried tightening that, but to no avail. It still drips. I have resorted to giving up and have turned off the water completely. I plan to fill the cistern each time I need to flush the loo.... for the time being.

Any tips anybody please?

Sponsored Links
Is there a rubber washer in the connection between pipe and your new fluidmaster valve?

A new fibre washer sounds like all you need, if its a tiny little leak, then a few wraps of pfte tape on the sealing face should to the trick.

if you lift the float cup(vertical rod) on your fluidmaster valve then turn on the water, you wont have to fill the whole cistern to determine if you have succeded with the fibre washer or ptfe tape.

dont overtighten the plastic fittings either.

HTH Al

Thank you for responding.

Where do I buy a fibre washer from? All good hardware stores, such as B&Q? Do they sell them separately and do they come in different sizes? Sorry for the questions. I am totally clueless as you have probably realised.

Also, to answer your question, yes, there is a rubber washer in the connection between the fill valve shank and the plastic nut.

So, do I have to change the washer that is currently INSIDE the white bolt (where arrow is on the post-it note)? That means I will have to dismantle the fill valve assembly once again right?......

Sponsored Links
Had a similar problem when I changed the 'donut' on a close coupled loo. Problem there was that, because it was thicker than the original, the pipe-to-thread connection was no longer a snug fit. You can buy the washers at B & Q. Be sure the leak's not coming down from the cistern, in which case you might as well get a new 'cone' rubber seal for the cistern at the same time.

That is what I think it is - a misalignment due to the un-snug fit. I unscrewed it and re-screwed it 3 times, but still the dripping is happening, so I am now convinced it's not a snug fit.

There is a washer inside the plastic screw/bolt thing - is it this very washer that I need to replace?

is there a washer fitted between the fill valve and the inside of the cistern?

Yes, there is a washer inside the cistern at the bottom of the fill valve shank where it meets the cistern.

Because the plastic nut wasn't flushing against the outside of the cistern when I tried to screw it on, I put an additional washer on the outside of the fill valve where it meets the cistern too.

So, the fill valve has in fact two washers (one inside and one outside of the cistern).

I went to the hardware store today, with photos and was recommended to simply use the pfte sealant tape. I have now taped up the bolt like a mummy, but it is still dripping. It's no longer dripping from the white bolt (shown by post-it arrow in photo above), it's now dripping from where the valve shank protrudes out of the cistern. HELP!

have you checked its not leaking from the bolts on the close coupled kit? sometimes it can leak from there and trickle along the underside of the cistern and appear to be coming from the inlet assembly. the only other thing i can suggest is to dismanle the cistern again, the washer between the fill valve and cistern is not sealing properly, you need to clean all contacting surfaces to ensure they are free from debris, put a bit of ptfe on the threads and try assembling again.

Why are there 2 'bolts' (capnuts) between the valve tail and the pushfit connection?
What is the white threaded piece in the middle if the installation?
The dark thread of the tail of the valve, is it brass or black plastic, i.e. Fluidmaster's PRO range?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back