Torbeck Valve dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed that 12 hours or so after being flushed, my toilet starts overlflowing. Under closer inspection it seems the torbeck valve is still filling the cistern with a slow drip after it's shut off. The drip is from the plastic sheath (in other words, the normal way it fills up, and can't be heard) rather than a drip from the front of the nut.

Does this indicate any particular part that has gone, or is it a case of replace the whole unit?

Sponsored Links
very likely a speck of grit or scale. Take it apart and wash it in clean water, then reassemble.

take great care to put the little needle in its hole.

Thanks for your reply John. I took the torbeck apart and the washer was flithy, leaving black marks all over my fingers. I inherited it with the house and it looked pretty old as it wasn't the extendable type so I decided to bin it and replace with a fluidmaster rather than try and repair it.

The new fluidmaster works fine but unfortunately there's a slight weep coming from the backnut under the cistern. I tightened it hand tight and then a quarter turn with a wrench as per instructions, it wept, so I tightened it a quarter turn more but it's still weeping.

Thing is, it's not progressing to a drip. I only know it's weeping cos if I rub some blue roll around it you can see a wet ring which has come from the outer ring of the backnut (there's nothing coming down the threads). But no matter how long you leave it, when you rub the blue roll round it's always a bit wet. I'm in 2 minds about taking it apart and starting again or leaving it, as I say, it's a weep rather than a drip. Might it seal itself or is that wishful thinking?

It was the standard fluidmaster 400 I used, and it comes with a standard flat washer for inside the base of the cistern, yet it seems the Pro45 comes with a conical washer, like the old Torbeck I took off which never wept at all. Is it worth sourcing a conical washer, or should I maybe add a washer underneath the outside of the cistern, above the backnut?

A tapered rubber washer on the inside is as good as the design gets.....use one if you can (even the old Torbeck one if it isn't split or distorted.
A thin squeeze of silicone does no harm either!
Fix the leak from the inside, rather than from the outside backnut.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I'm going to try and get a tapered washer. Why they provide a flat one is beyond me. In the fluidmaster instructions it says you shouldnt use any plumbers putty to seal the joint, which has put me off using silicone. Or does it mean plumbers mait? I'm guessing it reacts with the washer or plastic shank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back