Torbeck valve turns off with a thump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Yesterday I had a Torbeck valve fitted in the toilet cistern. This was to replace a conventional valve which had started doing foghorn impressions. The Torbeck is generally much better, filling quickly and quietly. However, I have noticed that when it cuts off the water it does so with quite a loud "thump". Is this normal for a Torbeck valve? Should I get the plumber back in to look at it?

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
A Torbeck shouldn't thump.

Check pipe clipping, also verify that it has the high pressure reducer (looks a bit like a corkscrew) inserted in the tail

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Yesterday I had a Torbeck valve fitted in the toilet cistern. with quite a loud "thump". Is this normal for a Torbeck valve? Should I get the plumber back in to look at it?

Thanks in advance...
Yes if he`s got the corkscrew in his toolbox

In addition to the advice already given I'd like to add:-
I dont think you will stop the thump completely even with the pressure reducing 'corkscrew'. A torbeck is an equilibrium type valve which uses the mains water pressure to close itself off, so it does shut off rather quickly. A 'shock absorber' mini expansion vessel might help if the noise bothers you as would a pressure reducing valve.

Thanks to all for responding... Plumber's coming round this evening to fit the flow rate limiter. I've already got a PRV fitted and have tried turning the stopcock partially off, but this didn't help. I spoke to the manufacturer today and was told that this is a known problem which can affect some installations. They have a retrofit modification kit which is supposed to help and have put one in the post to me (free!) Hopefully one or the other of these measures will make the bad noise go away.

Thanks to all for responding... Plumber's coming round this evening to fit the flow rate limiter. I've already got a PRV fitted and have tried turning the stopcock partially off, but this didn't help. I spoke to the manufacturer today and was told that this is a known problem which can affect some installations. They have a retrofit modification kit which is supposed to help and have put one in the post to me (free!) Hopefully one or the other of these measures will make the bad noise go away.

Who is the manufacturer? Do you have the tel. no? I have the same problem, and would like one of these modifications.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back