Torbeck Valve Closes With A Thump Is There Better Replacemet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced my Fluidmaster bottom entry torbeck with an Opella one, because it thumped when closing. The new Opella one does the same thing! :cry:

Is there a cistern valve that closes quietly, as the thump can be heard over the house? Screwfix do an Armitage Shanks one, is this any better?

Sponsored Links
Hi theOP,

Did you resolve this issue? I have the exact same problem!

that's very ususual.

No doubt you fitted the high-pressure reducer spiral.

What is your supply pipe made of, and how firmly and at what intervals is it clamped to the wall?

depending on your model of Torbeck, if you email [email protected] they may be able to send you a revised design anti-hammer end cap. they sent me one free.

Your problem is probably because modern inlet valves have a positive stop as opposed to olde worlde ball float valves which have a gradual stop.

You did fit the flow restrictor/archimedes screw/spiral thingy in the inlet pipe, didn't you?

Water hammer/thump is probably due to loose pipework somewhere. Check all your pipework is bracketed properly.

What valve do you currently have fitted, tubehound?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back