Thump noise from toilet valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My upstairs toilet has either a torbeck or a fluidmaster bottom entry valve fitted, i'm not certain which without going and having a look.

It's mains fed.

When the valve shuts off after filling, it makes a very loud "thump" type noise, which can be heard all over the house (transmitted through the pipework).

What would cause this, and is there anything I can do to make it quieter?

Thanks

Slip

Sponsored Links
might be unclamped pipework vibrating. Might be a dead leg if the pipework has been altered in the past and an unused part capped off.

I am guessing this is a mains-pressure supply (not from a loft tank) so it will need a high-pressure reducer which ought to have been included when it was fitted. If the house was converted from tank-fed to mains-fed (e.g. when changed to a Combi boiler) then the valve may have been originally installed with a low-pressure setup and need to be altered.

Clamping the pipework is going to be quite an easy and cheap thing to do.

If it really is a Torbeck or equivalent, it is unusual to get any noise as it shuts. On mine, from the time the float lifts (and if you lift it by hand) there is a ten-second delay before the water is fully shut off and you can only hear it is you are standing next to it, preferably with the lid open. I had an usual noise with a Torbeck recently and emaled sales at Opella, they sent me a new part FOC.

Thanks john.

the pipework supplying it is all under the floor, which is lined with plywood and then tiled - so getting to it would be a bit of a mission.

I'm 99% certain there are no dead legs in the pipework anywhere in the house.

AFAIK there is no flow restrictor fitted. Perhaps i shall just go and get a new tobeck valve and replace the whole thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back