Need a very quiet Toilet fill valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is, that I have to replace the fill valve on my toilet & am looking for the quietest & best valve on the market.

This is because bathroom is right next to bedroom & each time its used it’s very noisy when filling up (then the thump noise) & at night wakes every one up in house.

I had a Torbeck EcoFil valve, which did not operate properly & was noisy when filling up & at end of filling there was a clunk/thump noise, which seemed to come from the valve or near it. I have never had water hammer problems & old Valve did not make this noise.

I would be grateful for any help/advice on quietest & best bottom entry (for high & low water pressure ) toilet fill valve that is available? :?: :cry:

Sponsored Links
The original Torbeck was very quiet since it utilised a plastic silencer "tube" to discharge the water. They appear to have done away with this but merchants may have old stock.

The thump as the valve shuts off is due to the diapgragm valve on these types of valve and loose pipework...secure the loose pipework.

The Torbeck is an equilibrium valve that utilises the incoming water pressure to help turn itself off and they are normally one of the quietest valves on the market.

The only thing that I can think of is that the valves do come with the low pressure reducer already fitted inside and you always have to swop it for the high pressure one which is supplied but only if it's mains fed.

NB High pressure means connected directly to the water mains supply whilst low pressure means the supply is fed indirectly (from a storage tank).

Interestingly enough when you buy a normal ballvalve they always have the hight pressure seating already fitted inside them and you then have to swop them over if it's for L/P (tank fed).

Why this is I do not know!

if you write to the makers, and say your torbeck is giving water hammer as it closes, they will send you, free, a modified end-cap to stop it. They will say it is a new prototype.

IIRC you write to [email protected]

I use Torbecks and they are fantastically quiet.

edited
I use the other type. If your is like this http://www.opella.co.uk/Resources/LF00134_Torbeck_Ecofil_Bottom_Entry.pdf then it is probably not the end-cap problem. But ask what they suggest. If you are on high-pressure mains supply, make sure it is set up for that with the right restrictor, clean it of any sediment, and clip your pipes firmly to the wall to prevent vibration

Sponsored Links
if you write to the makers, and say your torbeck is giving water hammer as it closes, they will send you, free, a modified end-cap to stop it.
IIRC you write to [email protected]
CORRECTION . . . it's -> [email protected]

I have just received the modified part today.
All it does is my case is to make the fill slower, and then ends with an equally irritating "squeak" instead of the "water-hammer".

I'm running at 3.5 Bar, and have tried both combinations of pressure-reducers, and still get the infernal squeak now whatever I do.

I have emailed Opella again this afternoon for more suggested help, and if they have no more to suggest it's going in for plastic recycling, and I will buy a new (old-fashioned) Ball Cock unit.

The Dudley Duo-Flush I installed at the same time is going great though :D

Fluidmaster.

We suffer with water hammer due to some cowboy (no offence, guys) fitting a new stopcock in line with the old siezed one in a manner Heath Robinson would be proud of. Turning taps off slowly even causes a clunk. There is no clunk when the Fluidmaster shuts off.

Fluidmaster - There is no clunk when the Fluidmaster shuts off.
Thank you - that's what I should have bought in the first place, but some forums somewhere else said how good the Torbeck was - I should have researched longer and found this :confused:

Torbecks will not, I'm sure, be long for this Earth now that Fluidmaster UK own Opella.

the new Torbeck Ecofil is quite different from the older, very small, Torbeck (see my link above from Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:15 pm ) and I have heard it said that it is better.

Fluidmaster every time, get the one with the brass shank to reduce the risk of stripping the thread when you connect it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back