Dripping Shower...Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a Hydramax shower (the exposed type) and over the last week or so the shower has started to drip when turned off.

I firstly disconnected the head from the hose to rule out a prob with the head, I then disconected the hose from the unit on the wall and found that the dripping is actually coming from the outlet on the wall unit.

Have a look at the photos below which show exactly where it's dripping from.

I don't have any experience whatsoever with this kind of thing - I've never needed to until now.

Is it a job for a plumber? I don't mind too much taking the outer casing off and having a look - the user manual details how to get the casing off.

If I was to take a look will I need to turn the water supply off to the house first???

Do Hydramax still exist as a company to speak to?

Thanks in advance on this! Sorry for all the questions!

Sponsored Links
the user manual details how to get the casing off.

I have the same problem but cannot locate my user manual, if anyone could give me a brief outline on how to remove the shower control knob and access the cartridge that would be greatly appreciated.

Its a hydramax model v similar to one above

Sponsored Links
Hi

Well my shower started to leak and I went to the net reading all this, sadly thought I would have to pony up £80+ for a cartridge - not my preferred way of spending that money.

I phoned Hydramax and to cut a long story short, was told the reason I had to buy a new cartridge was because the old one was either clogged or had become scaled.

Well, I live in a relatively soft water area. Before spending the £ I decided to see if I could clean it out. I chose a dishwasher cleaning 'bomb' - the type you buy in a bottle, simply remove the seal from the top to expose the wax cap and run through on cycle.

I opened the cartridge so water would flow through, with the mixer set at 50/50 hot and cold.

Then I put the cartridge in a pyrex jug and poured some dishwater cleaning fluid into the end of the cartridge and then hot water from a kettle (remember to fill kettle before turning off water mains)

I alternated cleaning fluid and hot water until the entire jug was full, everything having gone through the cartridge to get into the jug, then left it to soak for a few hours.

I then replaced the cartridge and flushed it through. Its been 48 hours and no sign of any drip. I may just have saved £80+ (fingers crossed).

if anyone is struggling to remove the cover, push the H in hydramax and the little tiny cover flips up to show a screw. took me ages to figure out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back