Dripping Shower Head - Very Annnoying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a new shower installed August last year, Was over £200, It is run off combi boiler.

We havnt used it a great deal as we prefer bath, But decided to get 1 fitted with new bathroom suite.

Anyhow there is a constant drip all the time now. I unscrewed the head and a bit of water poured out, Replaced the head and it slowly fills drip by drip until it starts dripping thru again.

Could there be an easy solution to this or am i best calling a plumber out?

Thanks for any advice,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Presumably there's some sort of mixer you haven't mentioned, which presumably needs a new washer or cartridge

I am not a plumber! Therefore take this with a pinch of salt.

It sounds like the problem is with your shower. Its possible the hot or cold inlet is not shut off properly and could be an O ring thats not seated properly. Or that the fitter has not put a restriction filter in the cold inlet as this (I believe) is mains pressure fed and the flow should be restricted.

As you mentioned this is on a combi-boiler system and probably has a straight seperate feed for hot and cold without a pump or thermostat. Therefore there should be very little to go wrong.

If you have a stop valve on the cold and hot inlet you should be able to shut those off and investigate the shower and make sure all is well.

My guess is that the cold inlet has not been restricted. Maybe someone else could backup or dismiss this claim. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Flow restriction has nothing to do with what happens when the shower is turned off.

As ChrisR said, you haven't said what the shower actually comprises, except for the head. However, there isn't much room for doubt about this - if you shut off (aka turn off) the shower valve, and it keeps dripping, then the valve is not completely shut off.

This could be due to scale, or just worn parts, so the best bet is to contact the shower manufacturer to find out about servicing the valve. When the work is undertaken you (or the plumber that you engage) will need to isolate the shower valve - since your shower is mains fed you can do this simply by shutting off your cold mains stop cock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back