Dripping sound loft tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, need some advice, i was putting stuff into the loft and noticed a dripping noise, its a noise of water dripping into water, i would guess from the F + E Tank in the loft or the cold water tank.

We have had some work done to the heating, new towel rads in the bathrooms and the radiator in the kitchen removed and refitted for plastering

We have been getting small amount of air in the towel rad in the main bathroom, not enough to effect the heating, which i put down to air moving around after the drain down.

There is a constant slow dripping sound in the loft, the ladders i have are not tall enough to get into the loft to get to the tank so i can't see whats going on.

The system is around 20 year old and a mix of copper and hep2 plastic pipe, i can't see or hear any leaks elsewhere in the system, but the pipes are all under the floor upstairs, and ran down the plasterboard from the manifold upstairs.

Any ideas what it could be, British Gas are coming out tomorrow on a home serve agreement, but i don't want the stock answer of the boilers too old, it needs replacing or that it needs a power flush!

We had the ball valve changed in the cold water tank last year as it was making horrible noise when refilling after using the water....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the Ball valve needs an adjustment as it has bedded down or got a bit of grit in it

Are any of the toilets or anything fed from the cold water tank?

Maybe one of them was flushed not long before you heard a drip. Its not uncommon for them to drip ever so slightly for a little while after refilling.

Don't use anything for an hour and recheck.

i don't think anything is fed from the cold tank, as when I turn the main water off under the kitchen sink, the hot still works, but non of the cold taps/toilets work

Sponsored Links
Come back here after BG with their verdict.;)

So ball valve adjustment is possible/probable?

They are here between 8 and 1 tomorrow, hopefully its nothing too major, don't want to have to start digging pipes etc out if walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back