Dripping tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I have a old tap that sits alongside the electric and gas meters just inside the front door of my property. I'm guessing that it's an original tap from when the property was built (1930s).
My problem is that the tap has started to drip and the drip seems to be getting faster - I've tried turning the tap but it won't go any further. I've called out a plumber who is coming tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone had any temporary fixes to seal the tap in the meantime.
Any help would be appreciated
thanks

Sponsored Links
Guessing it's a stop tap. You could try tightening the gland nut (small nut next to spindle). If it's an antique, it may not work if everything is seized.

Failing that, get a bucket under it until your chap arrives. If you're worried about leaving it over night, you could turn the outside stop tap off to limit leaks.

A curious place to have a tap.....
Anyway, it needs a new rubber washer fitted to it so I'd be inclined just to collect the drip in a container for now. Unless the tap has its own isolator its going to drip until the washer is replaced. If it gets really serious (and it shouldn't unless you fiddle with it), turn off the stopcock to your house.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It threw me for a while. I could still be wrong. Bristolians can be confusing at times. ;)

So, Mr Hocksta, don't keep us in suspense!

Ian

Thanks all.
I'm pretty sure it's not a stop-tap. There is however a stop -tap below and this tap feeds off of it. I think the advice about leaving it until tomorrow is probably the best... as it's all a bit antique I wouldn't want to make things worse by trying to fix the problem.
I've cut up an old inner-tube and clamped this over the bottom... this has slowed down the drip so for now this will have to do. All I was wondering was if there was some quick patch-up - like some sort of waterproof tape I could put over it - -probably doesn't exist though

thanks again
Hocksta

Oh well - a curious place to have a tap :eek:
Presumably the stop cock feeding it can't be turned?
Use a piece of flannel or rag wrapped around the tap to 'wick' the drip away into a bucket or similar.
John :)

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo:

Stopcock:
71816.jpg

Hose union bib tap:
95844.jpg

Bib tap:
nbjinyuan$143809994(240).jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back