Dripping valve on hot water header tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the valve on my hot water header tank has been dripping for some time and getting worse. A friend changed it for me at the weekend, but it is still dripping for about 2 hrs after shutting off a hot water tap. Is there anything I can do or is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No, not that I know of. Had a water meter fitted a couple of years ago, but it was dripping before and after this

its either dripping cause its faulty or because the tank is emptying.

what other supplies come from the tank apart from the cylinder feed ?

Ask your pal to adjust the float valve so that it is fully closed when the water level is about 50mm below the overflow.

There are no other supplies coming from the tank, the central heating has a separate header tank

i know the central heating has its own tank.

but you may have other supplies coming from the cws like bath, basin cold taps.

does the float valve shut off if you hold it up ?

I think it just drips very occasionally after being held up ( I am at work at the mo) so I will try it when I get home later. It's the constant dripping for 2 hours when I go to bed that drives me nuts!

My tank drips due a faulty ballcock fixing,the ballcock works fine but drips and then overflows into the overflow pipe.

I have been told to remove ball cock and replace with a new one but as i am removing tank due to combi boiler being fitted i have just run a hot water tap till emptys and tied the ball cock so it does not refill tank.

When your friend changed the valve, did (s)he also change the ball, and make sure that the float level was set lower than the overflow?

My tank drips due a faulty ballcock fixing,the ballcock works fine but drips and then overflows into the overflow pipe.

I have been told to remove ball cock and replace with a new one but as i am removing tank due to combi boiler being fitted i have just run a hot water tap till emptys and tied the ball cock so it does not refill tank.
So one solution would be to arrange a pulley system so that the valve could be pulled up and tied up ;) at night

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back