driveway 1 in 10 gradient no more?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm interested in getting a driveway and garage put on the side of my house,
I've seen a planning officer from the council, i showed him a rough plan i made up and photos of the site etc where i am considering getting the drive done,
because i'm on a slop he did mention that i would need to make sure that the drive way was no more than 1 in 10 gradient to the road.
and i would need to check with the highways agency about this.
does any one here have any experience with this sort of issue
I would like the drive AND garage not just a drive dug into the slope
He did mention to me that i wouldn't need planning permission for the drive only the garage and the kerb lowering.
so every if this 1 in 10 is a guideline could i still go ahead anyway.?
I can provide pictures if needed
thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
ghost32 said:
I can provide pictures if needed
It would be very useful for the correct answer.

Not quite sure what you mean, do you mean the public footpath will be higher than the driveway? My driveway is lower than the public footpath and I can show you how to do it but need to know what you mean first.

Unless you live on a motorway! or trunk road then the Highways agency will have no interest whatsoever.

I think that the 1:10 gradient is likley to be because of recent guidelines for disabled access.
You may be able to argue residential access doesn't count but I think a lot of new housing development has to provide front door access ramps so maybe not.

-Neil

neilsumner said:
....... I think that the 1:10 gradient is likley to be because of recent guidelines for disabled access.........

-Neil

Unlikely... Disabled access ramps are now a maximum of 1 in 16.

They might be concerned that your car may go skating down your drive and end up in the front room of your neighbour's house when everything is iced up in the winter.

Sponsored Links
1 in 16! where do you get that from?
We usually design footways to a maximum of 1 in 12 but you can go steeper than that for short lengths.

-Neil

1:10 is more likely for ice and vehicle grounding out.. i think you will find that if you go steeper you should introduce antislip measures and check that a standard car wont ground out on the driveway ramp at the road end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back