Driveway construction method

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New driveway and parking area to the front of my house, about 130 sq metres worth. Sandy soil, v. good draining therefore want driveway to be permeable. It's wholly a private driveway, so only light use, maybe the occasional delivery van. We have a digger and dumper hired next week for the operation.

Just want to check I'm roughly in the right area with this method:

Dig off 150mm
Put in timber stakes / gravel boards to mark actual edge of drive
Douse with copious amounts of weedkiller.
Line with geotextile membrane
MOT type 3 subbase, 115mm ish, compacted but not smashed to pieces.
20mm traditional Cotswold gravel 35mm, again compacted a bit.

I was thinking of just using my car to compact the subbase, rather than a vibrating wacker? Dont want to smash the stuff up to dust and make it into a type 1 material which wont be permeable.

Am I in the right ballpark? :)

Sponsored Links
Sounds fine. I wouldn't say type1 is impermeable, though. Type 3 will certainly drain faster but only as far as the sub grade.

I would suggest using cellular paving as it's brilliant and stops the top decorative aggregate floating around all over the place, rutting and mixing with sub-base etc, but as it's 130sqm, it'd be expensive, so might not be what you're after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back