Driveway difficulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Currently I'm working on a new driveway out the back of the house for the car arriving in January. I'm thinking concrete right now. Fairly confident I can mix, pour, level reasonably well. My questions are about what I need to do under the concrete.

Brief history lesson.

The previous owners ran a mechanics out of the back garden with a block shed complete with pit for working under cars installed! Somewhere along the line the business went belly up and they knocked the shed. It was a mess.

When we moved in for a fast solution we put down plastic sheeting and gravel and that was fine for a while. It's gone all mossy now and the dog has gotten into the habit of digging it up and there's grass coming up through it. Add to that when the dog does "no 2" in the garden cleaning it off the gravel is difficult and unpleasant. So this morning my brother and I shoveled all of the gravel into a skip and were back to the square of half concrete with a hole pit (which is full of rubble btw) and the other half is wet horrid clay.

The whole area has a block wall around it, the remains of the shed that was there, except where the gate is.

So the job at hand. Can I just lay down some kind of thick builders plastic over what's there and pour sand over it to get it something approaching level and then pour the concrete in on top? Is it going to be that simple or do I need to think about digging up the part concrete that is there?

Any advice much appreciated. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
hi there

have you looked into ready mix? it works out as costly or as cheap, and saves a whole load of back pain. so no unpaid sick leave from you work

sorry i can't help you out on the other points, but i am sure someone will know on here!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back