Driveway - DIY or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at converting my front garden into a driveway. Considering either tarmac or resin bound.

After digger, skip, whacker hire amongst other things, I'm wondering if it's just worth paying to have it done.

Does anyone know the going rate per m2?

Sponsored Links
Skip 200 quid, digger 14.99 from wickes (manual operation only) whacker 60quid for a weekend
We did this our selves with some block paving we recycled, the only other cost than the above was about 200 quid for 3 bags of hardcore and 1 of sand, and cement etc.
We had a lot of passers by telling us they'd had quotes for thousands, and people said we did a better job then the professionals. Definitely do it yourself if you have the time and inclination, not just to save money.
Good luck!

Skip 200 quid, digger 14.99 from wickes (manual operation only) whacker 60quid for a weekend
We did this our selves with some block paving we recycled, the only other cost than the above was about 200 quid for 3 bags of hardcore and 1 of sand, and cement etc.

What sort of area were you covering? I assume it was block paving you did?

Yes block paving we did about 4m by 6m, but what we didn't realise is the main area is really quick and easy, the slow bit is the edges. And we did small flower beds all round! So many bricks to cut and curve, then cement in, but it was worth it. But if I did it again I'd be too lazy to do flower beds with chamfered blocks curving around...

Sponsored Links
Tarmac leave to the pro's, you need so much kit and its horrible stuff to work with if you're not sure what you're doing. You also only get one attempt to get it right, once rolled that's it. If you go for tarmac, look for some specs and make sure the surfacing company stick to them, too shallow a foundation and thin layers of material, you soon have ruts in it. www.pavingexpert.com has a wealth of useful information, well worth a look.

You'' also have to consider water run off for suds.

Definately don't try diy tarmac and id be very cautious about diy resin bound.

Diy block paving though is quite straight forward as long as you take your time and plan it well.

If you want to reduce the cost of tarmac you could do the sub base and set all the kerbs, manhole covers etc then actually laying the bitmac can be done in one visit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back