Driveway Installer Not Laying Membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan on getting getting my driveway paved.

The installer says that he doesn't lay a membrane when installing drives because they use Limestone type 1 MOT

Is it true that one does not need a lay a membrane when Limestone type 1 is used?

Or is it good practice to always lay a membrane down?

If so, are there any recommended membranes I should look for?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not true.

You don't need a membrane full stop.
Marshalls vid
At 5 mins they refer/install the membrane

I'm curious, why do vids like the above suggest the use of a membrane? Is it a modern day gimmick?

The membrane is only used to stop type 1 and and sub grade mixing is totally optional will not stop weeds they grow in the joints an you won't stop them

Marshalls vid
At 5 mins they refer/install the membrane

I'm curious, why do vids like the above suggest the use of a membrane? Is it a modern day gimmick?
"Particle migration to the subsoil". LOL

Is this like quantum theory superposition? I wonder if Professor Marshall can explain how this actually occurs.

I stuck a membrane on the soil and then my MOT on top. Belt and braces only. Probably totally unnecessary as I'd got over excited with the mini digger and gone down too deep and ended up having to lay nearly 12" MOT. 75 tons of the stuff. An expensive mistake. But could probably take a tank now the 75 tons won't be eaten by the soil

I think it's only for if your ground is unstable or soaking wet in some way, to stop the sub grade mixing with the sub base, but I'm guessing that's rarely the case unless you have a water leak underneath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back