Driveway MUD....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We currently have a driveway that has hard standing (Concrete) for one car, However we can fit very easy two cars side by side, half on the hard standing and the other half on what was grass.

Over the weekend the grass turned to mud, and one car half sank.

Im looking for a quick cheap fix to this, I understand ill end up digging out the "mud", but to what depth? what shall I refill with? this is going to have to be a job I do after work, (in the dark). I do have portable lighting ill be throwing up... so not totaly dark.

Ill look forward to any pointers, or volunteers to help dig out the mud...

Thanks in advance

M.A.

Sponsored Links
several options,varying in cost obviuosly.

dig out all topsoil in all cases.then lay terram or similar(weed membrane)and then fill with granite(type 1) or similar.
you could lay some edging kerbs between the grassed area and the new hard standing.
you could lay those blocks down that you then fill with top soil and seed.that gives you a hard standing of grass.

Thanks for the reply, I need to look at doing this as cheap as possible, as the cost is going to be eating into my xmas beer budget...lol

A few bulk bags of MOT will do it for a short term fix, I agree about getting rid of the topsoil and mud though. There will be more of it than you think :(

There's also the aco groundguard plastic tiles for parking onto grass, bit pricey though.

For a really cheap fix just put down a couple of sheets of ply or osb.

Sponsored Links
Must admit, im considering diggign out about 4 - 6" and just filling with couple tonne of MOT... as quick fix...

Im working on 2 tonne in, that will be 2 tonne out... I hope....

Rgds

M.A.

length x width x depth x 2 will give you a rough idea of tonnage needed

Having done this (by hand) last year...

typical front garden dug down by approx one spade head depth lucky for me the ground got very hard and so was suitable at that depth - you may need to go deeper!!!!!

- equates to about 3 days bloody hard work - and then 2 days to fill it in with MOT and vibrate flat

.....and finally 3 months recovering from the heart attack! (joke)

The very best of luck mate (...get a digger in!) :LOL:

he didnt mention an area.im assuming its not that big.i do a lot of digging by hand as it keeps me fit.gives me more work and the skip/digger/lorry money goes in MY pocket.

I will always use a digger when access will allow.

But.........you need to be on your guard.

Make sure your road stop cock is serviceable and familiarise yourself with gas and electric meter locations as well as any other underground services and drains.

Hi guys,

We currently have a driveway that has hard standing (Concrete) for one car, However we can fit very easy two cars side by side, half on the hard standing and the other half on what was grass.

Over the weekend the grass turned to mud, and one car half sank.

Ill look forward to any pointers, or volunteers to help dig out the mud...

Thanks in advance M.A.
Buy a 4x4 :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back