Driving on concrete slabs. What to bed them on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have a path around their house made of semi decorative concrete 18inch slabs. Due to the nature of the otherwise gravel driveway these get drive on repeated and are not standing the pace.

They need re-laying on a firmer footing but they are not sure what to spec.
Most of the path is 2flags or 3ft wide, but parts are twice that.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
dhutch, good evening.

I would suggest that you research paviours and what to lay them on for a driveway or possible a Forecourt?

As I recall there is a code of practice but at this distance in time from it ?? it has faded from instant recall.

What I can remember there was a requirement for hardcore, lean mix Concrete, Sand Cement, then Slabs or Paviours.

Ken

Your main objective I to stop the overturning force caused by the weight of the car as it hits the edge of the slab. This will make the slab want to flip up. To stop this you need to make a sound base for the flag and also the level of the gravel is important. If the gravel is too low the car has to climb up onto the slab making the problem worse. Lastly the flag must be well stuck to the bedding.

As for bedding the flags scrape back the gravel and some sub base and lay 75mm of leanmix concrete. Then lay the flag on 50mm of 4:1 grit sand : Cement. Use sbr either in your mix or prime the back of the flag with an sbr cement slurry.

Sponsored Links
As for bedding the flags scrape back the gravel and some sub base and lay 75mm of leanmix concrete. Then lay the flag on 50mm of 4:1 grit sand : Cement. Use sbr either in your mix or prime the back of the flag with an sbr cement slurry.
Thats what we need.

As you say, they need to be stuck down well enough not to lift, and also be supported well enough not to crack.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back