mixed material path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I hope someone can offer some advice please on the best method of laying a mixed material path.

I'm planning on using victorian blue pavers and cobble stones in my front garden path. The path is about 90cm wide and 3.3m long. Pedestrian use only.

I'm using these materials because this is what I've managed to collect/been given. I have enough pavers for a 3 paver wide continuous length over the length of the path, and enough cobbles for edging each side.

I have built retaining walls either side of the path.

After reading through past posts and the paving expert website, I'm unsure whether its best to lay on a dry mix or a wet mix. And a 5:1 concrete or a 10:1 bedding mix?

Its not exactly block paving or slab laying. I do work quite slowly and it may take me more than one day, weather permitting. Also the postman etc will have to use the path.

Also I'm unsure whether I should lay the pavers first, wait for them to go off and then the cobbles. The stones I have are 2-3 inches, I've read to use both wet and dry methods, does anyone have an opinion on which is best for a beginner?

I'm allowing 3 inches for base/bedding material.

The other issue is that the house is on a sloping pavement. (There is about 1-2 inches in height difference of the pavement over the width of the path). Should I slope the whole path in 2 planes? I'd appreciate some advice on how to keep this sideways slope constant. Should I knock in depth pegs?

Thank you for any help

Amanda

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thank you for your reply. My 3 inches of bedding will be going on top of well-compacted soil.

Many thanks

Amanda

making a few assumptions that youre paviors are 300 wide, and yo intend to set the cobbles in cement, i would bring the level up to just below what is needed with a semi dry mix to screed the path(1:10), and then wet lay (3:2:1 sharp sand/building sand/cement) the slab paviors on top of that. If you put a piece of timber down each side of the path and set it to the level/falls you want and secure it with pegs you can simply pull a piece of timber across the top to get it level. that way you can do a small section at a time accuratley

hope that makes sense!

Sponsored Links
Hi Thermo

Thank you for your reply, the timber sounds like a good idea. I will do as you suggested for the base and laying. I'm hoping to do it tomorrow.

Thank you again

Amanda

Hi Thermo

Just to let you know I have now finished the path. I did as you suggested with the base, laying and timber shuttering. It went down really well - the timber worked brilliantly to keep the falls accurate and I've had loads of complements.

So thanks again

Amanda :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back