Droning noise from boiler on startup in the morning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a problem we had a few years ago and the British Gas engineer replaced the flue fan. Now we have the same noise and the British Gas engineer now says it's "kettling" and recommends we get a new boiler or flush the system. It would cost £1000 to flush the system, I don't know if this is a reasonable price, but given it's British Gas I expect not. But I expect the bearings in the fan are going.
Now our boiler is old (20 years) and by coincidence when they serviced it somebody from British Gas came out to give us a quote for a new boiler, around £5000, told him to go away or come up with a reasonable price. I use to work at British Gas on the IT side and I suspect there is a concerted effort on both sides for us to buy a new boiler.
Is it "kettling" it doesn't sound like it, given the problem we had before.
I'm not averse to purchasing a new boiler but would be grateful if somebody could suggest how to find a reputable company to do the job? Also which boiler, a quick look on the Net indicates Worcestor Bosch or Valiant?

Sponsored Links
Well we know that it is 20 years old.

But no other info on it apart from having a fan.

But it probably is due for replacement.

Contact local installers and see what the say.

You have given BG a lot of your money paying for their cover.

Fans nee replacing every 5-8 years and my charge for that is usually less than you will be paying each year to BG.

In the SE the BG price for power flushing is usually £800 and most independents do it for around £350 !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back