Drop ceiling for loft conversion advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all. Has anyone done a loft conversion where the first floor ceiling was dropped? I am trying to get an idea of what is involved. If anyone can show me anything in terms of drawings etc would be great, just trying to see how the rafters are tied in to prevent spreading.

Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Has anyone done a loft conversion where the first floor ceiling was dropped?
Simple answer no, because it isn't usually done that way. If you are having to consider that are you sure the loft is suitable for conversion :?:

it is suitable i believe, but the hight is about 500mm to low?

it is suitable i believe, but the hight is about 500mm to low?
that sort of indicates it might not be suitable :!: What is the existing first floor ceiling height if you can afford to reduce it by 500mm :?:

Sponsored Links
Just over 2.4 meters
o_O So you are saying you would like to do a loft conversion by lowering the first floor ceiling because the headroom in the roof space is about 500mm short and the existing first floor ceiling height is 2.4m. Am I missing something, 1.9m ceiling height would be too low :?::!:

I did it like that but not 500mm’s worth.

Basically took 3 or 4 bricks off the central wall, big steels front and back under where my loft walls were going, big timber from central wall into steels, smaller timber from other side of steel to house wall. Easy.

Only took me a year.

Im currently doing dormer conversion.

Reduced my first floor ceiling height by about 130mm to 2.3m high.

You would have to have house empty as there is a lot of mess.

500mm is quite a bit though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back