New Loft floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am intending to board out my loft and would like a bit of advice ! the loft has the usual 4"x2" ceiling joists but on top of these and running at 90 deg. are two 8" x 2" timbers which are fixed to the rafters and then right through the party wall. i would like a one level loft floor so would like to know if by using more 8" x 2" timber can i create a frame that i can then fix new 4" x 2" joists to which would be independent of the ceiling joists. When the loft floor is done it is for the moment only for storage but in the future may turn into a playroom but don't want to have to re do the floor if we go down this route. i know that for using the loft for anything other than storage needs BC regs. can this be done or am i looking at at getting a builder in and a priper loft conversion. hope that this is clear, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
the 8"x 2" timbers spanning the joists are probably ceiling binders and are there to help stiffen the ceiling joists. these aren't usually fixed to the rafters though?

if you intend going down the route of a full spec floor, and one that will satisfy regulations, then i would say fit new joists along side existing. the existing joists can then be fixed to the new joists.

if you decide to do this, you will be able to remove the ceiling binders altogether. if you don't, the ceiling binders have to stay and will support no extra loading.

a lot will depend on the spans involved as to the timber sizes. e.g. a 4.5m span would require a 9"x 2" joist.

Thanks for the reply, So when you say fix new joists along side existing ones, are these bolted through to in efect double up the joist ? and do they then need to fixed to the ceiling below. removing the "ceiling binders would lower the floor by 8" which is good but they looked a very important part of the overall structure and i presumed they would have to stay, they are nailed to the rafters ! the size of the loft is roughly 5.5m x 7.5 m. the binders run width wise dividing the loft into 3 sections of 2.5 m if you see what i mean. Is this too big if they are removed ??

if you install new thicker full spec joists along side the old, and fix old into new, you effectively remove the need for binders.

i can't quite picture the binders being fixed to the rafters though. it's not a purlin you're describing is it?

you cannot remove a purlin unless you :

a. intend replacing it with steel.
b. intend beefing up the rafters to suit.

any chance of a photo'?

Sponsored Links
ok here is a photo of the 8" x 2", which as described there is 2 of them roughly 2.5m apart. [/img]

don't really know how to get this photo, so you can view it without emailing it direct to you. any ideas ? So if this 8"x2" is a Purlin and it can't be removed, what is my best course of action ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back