Drop-down Desk using support beams and a pulley system?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys. First off, im a complete newbie at this, but ive got a creative mind.
Reasoms: I know some of you will assume this to be tacky or stupid. I would enjoy learning and expanding my knowledge of building, through this. Additionally, my rooms too small to add on yet another piece of furniture. I find my couch which leans up against a wall to be much more comfortable than a bed seemed to be.

My idea: My attic is right above my room.
I'm thinking of installing support beams(2?) in the attic, then drilling 4 circular holes through the ceiling, in the shape of a rectangle. (two vertical on each short side)
This would allow four reinforced ropes, attached to the beams, (specifically it's metal with a plastic coating, generally used on workout systems) to drop down through the holes, and be attached to a rectangular wooden platform, which will namely be my desk. I'm figuring that the support beams will structure it enough to give it a flat,even surface. The "desk" will rest about 6" from the couch cushions. (enough room for me to sit and work without being restricted)

My idea: I want to be able to raise and lower the "desk", either by just lifting it or using a pulley/crank system to lift it up to the ceiling. It will NOT raise into the attic. Attic is for purely supporting the desk. I, obviously don't want the reinforced rope to give way and fall on top of me, as i'll be sleeping directly under it.

My questions: How would i apply this pulley system? I had ideas for a crank system, but where would i put that? Would the support beams literally support the wooden platform? At most it'd be my laptop (maybe a desktop?), work papers, cups, etc.

Basically, it'd be a "elevator" type system, where i could raise and lower the "desk/wooden platform" to fit my needs during the day.

Looking for suggestions/comments/other ideas?
Thanks.

Skae Rose

Sponsored Links
Skae
In my opinion, without legs the desk is not going to be stable and be annoying. The ropes will allow movement forward and backwards, left and right and have some elasticity (up and down). But you could put on legs?

But ignoring this and answering your question about the pulley system. This type of pulley system is already used on "Kitchen Ceiling Pulley Clothes Airer", so do a google search for that and you see lots of images that shows the pully system: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=K...8AKHShQDg8Q_AUICSgC&biw=2144&bih=1061&dpr=0.9

This only has two ropes so that would have to be doubled up, and the pulleys need to be bigger. But this saves you putting mechanism in attic as they attach onto the ceiling joists. And I bet you can get pulleys and rope from your local HomeDepot (presuming you are in USA rather than UK). So you can make a quick and cheap trail with rope, pulleys, and a wood board to see if works or is a nightmare to use.

OR .... you could get a Card Table with folding legs >>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...card+table.TRS0&_nkw=vono+card+table&_sacat=0

sfk

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thank you so much for the advice, SFK. I didn't think about the stability of it regarding it moving. I found another version, but it doesn't use the kitchen pulley.

People say it's still a little unstable in terms of one side going up first when you pull it back up via the paracord on the wall. Would adding weights on the desk help with that?

Here's the link to it:

http://m.instructables.com/id/Paracord-and-Pulley-Hanging-Table/

you may be over thinking it

a desk top is not heavy
could you not perhaps have a flap that lifts off say 2/3 the length you need to use with baton on the wall to support one end with a baton on a cabinet/chest as the other 1/3 you could then stash the board
if you have a baton on the wall and the other end on a bed end/ cabinet/chair /chest whatever you can just lift it and store anywhere flat
you need to think off something practical thats useable so 1/3 left means you can leave things on that part like laptop or computer
you can also use a board on the bed as a work surface/desk

Sponsored Links
Skae
I would say that that Indestructibles design looks good. Note that their double pulley (the rope doubling back to the ceiling) means that the leverage is doubled. In other words, the weight that you have to pull on the rope is halved (the desk feels half as heave as actually is), but you have to pull twice as much rope.
You question about increasing the weight of the desk to improve its stability. This will sort-of work, but a change in mass does not affect the period of a pendulum. This means the table will still move, but it will need more force to start it moving, and more force to stop it once it is moving. I feel that significantly increasing the mass is a bad way to go forward as: you will need a lot of mass to make a difference, the increased loading on the ropes, pulleys and the screws into the joists will need to be addressed, you may not be strong enough to pull it up.
For this type of 'experiment' my suggestion is KISS, Keep it simple. Get some wood, pulleys, screws and rope (checking their load ratings) and give it a go. Then improve as needed.

Regarding big-all suggestion, if you like Indestructibles, i think this is similar and could be changed to provide the 1/3 storage he suggests, http://www.instructables.com/id/Wall-Desk/?ALLSTEPS
sfk

I would use legs that splay slightly when the table (desk) is sitting on the floor, and you fold them up and clip them when the table (desk) is raised.
Have you looked at camping/patio furniture as a basis?
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back