Drop fed radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had to drain my system to install some new rads.

Upstairs drained fine but i initially couldn’t get the downstairs rads to drain. I later found out from here that the downstairs rads were probably drop fed from above.

I only drained down the 2 ground floor rads that I needed to work on and left the remaining 4 which were still holding water.

The ground floor rads are fed from 10mm pipe that is buried in a concrete floor so I can’t really trace back the pipe work to see where it comes from.

Is there a way that I can find out whether or not all of the ground floor rads are drop fed? And would each rad be fed individually?

Cheers
rob

Sponsored Links
Is there a way that I can find out whether or not all of the ground floor rads are drop fed? And would each rad be fed individually?
Thermal imaging
This is the modern day method of locating concealed pipes and very useful for locating leaking water pipes in solid walls,floors ceilings etc.The equipment is available to buy or hire.

The other way to locate concealed pipes is "Experience"

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. I thought dan was winding me up.
Dan, i retract my comment.

So for a diyer like me without the latest equipment i guess its just a case of trying to find out as much as possible and trial and error when draining?

What did the pros do back in the day before this equipment wad around?

if the pipes are hot, you can spray the concrete floor with water. It will darken as it is wet, then the pale shadow of the hot pipes will appear as their heat dries out the concrete above them.

IR_0041.jpg

Very useful it is too.

My feet on my landing prior to replumbing my heating.

if the pipes are hot, you can spray the concrete floor with water. It will darken as it is wet, then the pale shadow of the hot pipes will appear as their heat dries out the concrete above them.
OP, better start hosing your house down the misses would love that :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back