Drop valve flushing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

I had a cistern with a broken flushing system, I havd since fitted a remote button operated drop valve flushing system. The fitting of it has been no problem + fairly straight foward. It is virtually identical to the pic on this link, bottom of pg 1 + the middle of the pic:

http://www.elementalsolutions.co.uk/downloads/wcs.pdf

Problem is that once the toilet is flushed + the cistern fills back up, the drop valve doesn't seem to be sealing the cistern shut - therefore you can hear water leaking thru + into the pan. As the water leaks the cistern then fills back up........so it's on a constant cycle of leaking + then filling up once the float triggers the water back into the cistern. I have try to adjust (trial + error) what ever I can but to no avail.

There is a screw rod fitting which seems to be the flush capacity adjustment? Then there is a flap on the body side, that you can pull up + down, no idea what that does. Then where the cable attaches to the push button flush, there is a very small adjuster (which only the smallest screw driver can turn) which again i have no idea about.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Check that the cistern isn't overfilling, and water running down the internal overflow in the drop valve. Adjust the float valve level if necessary.

Check for flakes of limescale, grit or any other rubbish on the drop valve seating stopping the valve from sealing.

Check the cable is not too short, and allows the drop valve to fall onto it's seating correctly

If it is the internal overflow, the water will usually stop running into the pan after flushing until the cistern is almost full.
If it is the valve seal, the water will usually run into the pan almost constantly after flushing.

Thanks for the reply TicklyT

the cistern isnt overfilling, it's using the previous float to regulate the water flow- it stills seem to be working ok.

the seating valve seems ok + the cable isn't too short.
as the water is constantly running into the pan (other than when the cistern empties) i'm guessin it's not a manual adjustment i can do..............the problem seems to be the valve seal ie, a mufacturing fault?

nb- when i press down on the central piece (the blue core in the pic) it seems to slow down the leak but not stop it.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a good seal between the bottom of the unit and the cistern?

Make sure that you fitted the rubber seal betwwen the bottom of the unit and the cistern. Its also a good idea to put a small amount of Plumbers Mait sealant under the seal where it meets the porcelain. Often, water will run between the seal and porcelain, especially if the porcelain has imperfections in it.

Also make sure that the large nut securing the unit is tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back