Dropping into building sites looking for temp work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was thinking tomorrow I'm going to drive round my local area and see if there are any labourers jobs going, nothing with a lot of responsibility, just something to tie me over for a few months. I don't really need the money but I like working opposed to sitting about and I've got travel plans for the fall months so a bit of extra doe won't hurt. I like physical work opposed to a desk job.

Is it worth writing and printing off a CV in this case though ? I've thought about it but instinct would say don't bother, just put on your most enthusiastic face and find the site manager...

I've got CSCS (expired this year) + NI number, what else is there besides name and address ?

Maybe gumtree is a better option (look for workers mate adverstiments)

What you reckon ?

p.s I'd like to avoid agencies because they are absolute sharks IME

Sponsored Links
Trouble is all that red tape bureaucratic employment law, H&S and other site safety training including asbestos awareness course, I don't think you could just walk to a building site and speak to a site manager and expect to be taken on, agency would be you first step, eventually you will come to know people and move on through who you know and not what you know.

Trouble is all that red tape bureaucratic employment law, H&S and other site safety training including asbestos awareness course, I don't think you could just walk to a building site and speak to a site manager and expect to be taken on, agency would be you first step, eventually you will come to know people and move on through who you know and not what you know.

My problem is commuting. I can't see myself getting the tube for a job like this, it's not worth it, just not worth it (live in London). If I can get to the job within 5-10minutes drive of where I live it really makes the world of difference, and it does make me wonder why I couldn't find work when there are probably 30 building sites that spring to mind ranging from small to large, within walking distance of where I live.

My card expired in January. 10+ years of experience in construction. Dabbled in pretty much everything except roofing and swimming pools.

My fear with agency is that they will not find what I want. No way I am commuting to central for a few quid and hour, as I say I don't need the money. I have passive income as a landlord + adhoc work with another fella locally to me with a better day rate than what I'd get as a site labourer, but the work isn't consistent.

Sponsored Links
That is true, joining an agency doesn't suit everyone, you could receive a short notice via a text message to report to a building site for induction at 8 am 20 miles from your home, and commuting within and through London is horrendous, trains are packed to brink even at 6am in the morning, mostly (shall I say E U workers ) all carrying tools and ruck sacks heading to various building sites, some even commuting for 50 miles to Brighton, Surrey and so on, Office workers you won't see any at 6am, but after 7.30 am its white collar workers who pack the trains, I have seen it all, London is growing so rapidly it is unbelievable, you see building sites mushrooming everywhere with multistory apartments, mostly private developments and so on, and other self employed our British, Polish, Romanian builders all so busy, right now two of my friends are looking for a small team of builders to build their loft conversions, small building contractors are all very busy, I spoke to an Architect who said he was so busy with people requiring plans for small extensions and loft conversions, construction industry is bursting to its seem in London. In nearly every street you will see someone having builders doing something or the other!

But I see your point, you much rather travel to a local site than one 20 miles away, so yes try and get hold of the contractors phone number and make enquiry and ask who is their HR or site manager and how to go about applying for a job. have your CV ready if needed, and your CS card Good luck for your plans.

Last edited:
Back